Here are descriptions of each volunteer category:
• Legal Team Member: Attorney for a legal support team who could answer questions or give general advice.
• Bail Team Member: This is the core of our work. When we receive a call from a client, the bail team member on call coordinates paying bail -- requesting and obtaining funds, driving to the jail, and completing paperwork with the client. Follow up may entail contacting the client and attending court with them as their case proceeds.
• Advocacy Team: Bail reform is a topic of state law and court policy, and this team would stay on top of the politics of bail. When bail legislation comes up in the General Assembly, we need people to visit or contact legislators. Advocates also get the word out to others about social actions they can take.
• Speakers Bureau: The Bail Fund has a short slide show for community groups, for both volunteer recruitment and fundraising. Speakers would arrange for time on group agendas, make presentations, and encourage group members to volunteer and/or donate.
• Community Outreach Team: Facebook is not the best way to reach potential clients. Members of this team would spread the word about the availability of our services throughout the community, in multiple ways, including face to face canvassing.
• Graphic Design Team: If you have skills for making posters, flyers, media posts, this would be the team for you.